St. Joseph Mercy Port Huron Surgery Center
The Surgical Services Department at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital offers a complete array of services by qualified surgeons in the community. Services include:
- Breast Surgery
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) surgery
- General Surgery
- Gynecologic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Ophthalmologic Surgery
- Oral Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Podiatric Surgery
- Spine Surgery
- Trauma Surgery
- Urologic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
After you've met with your surgeon and determined the surgery or type of procedure needed, additional preparation will be required to ensure a successful experience. To help you better prepare, a variety of materials are available for your convenience. Please take you time to review any of the following that are unique to your needs:
• For all Surgeries: Patient Information Guide to Surgical Services
• For Endoscopy Procedures: Patient Information Guide to Endoscopy Services
• For Surgical Patients & Guests: Patient & Guest Information Guide
An informational guide related to your specific procedure should be provided to you during your visit with your surgeon. Please contact your surgeon's office directly should you need additional information regarding your individual surgery or procedure.
Thank you for choosing St. Joseph Mercy Port Huron as your healthcare provider. Our goal is to offer you the highest quality care. If you should have additional questions about your service at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, please feel free to inquire prior to your procedure, or call 810-985-1522 or 810-987-1062.
Important Surgery Center Patient Information
Please review the following outline prior to your surgery or procedure:
Please park in the hospital's main parking lot, and use the Main entrance.
If there is a need to cancel or change an appointment at our facility or if you become ill, develop a fever or a productive cough and need to cancel, please call your surgeon as soon as possible to allow us to schedule you and others in a timely manner.
You will be notified of your arrival time after 2 p.m., the day prior to your procedure.
Preparation for Your Procedure
• The evening before your procedure do not eat or drink after midnight (this includes water, coffee, juice, alcohol, chewing gum and mints). This is very important for your safety. What's more, your procedure may have to be cancelled if you have anything to eat or drink. You may brush your teeth, but do not swallow any water.
• Do not smoke 24 hours before surgery.
• Please shower or bathe the evening before, or the morning of your surgery with Hibiclens or Generic 4% Chlorhexidine solution. This product is available at the Mercy Outpatient Pharmacy and costs approximately $2.43 to $5.96 (Please note: this price is subject to change). It is also sold over-the-counter at other retail pharmacies and at various prices.
• Wear loose comfortable clothes.
• Bring a list of all current medications, and over-the-counter products as well as herbal supplements/products you may be taking.
• Leave all valuables, including jewelry, watches, money and credit cards at home. If you wear glasses, contacts or hearing aids please bring them with you.
• Remove all body piercings before coming to the hospital. Wearing metal jewelry during surgery or endoscopy procedures places you at risk for injury. Your safety is important to us.
• One family member or friend must come with you to the hospital.
• Your anesthesiologist will meet you shortly after your arrival to discuss your anesthesia and answer any questions you may have.
Please review the Surgical Services Patient Information brochure, and the surgical site infection sheet prior to your surgical procedure. If you're having an endoscopy procedure, please review the Endoscopy Services Patient Information brochure.
• If you take heart, blood pressure, breathing or seizure medications, you may be asked to take them the morning of surgery with a sip of water. You may take pain medications up until two hours prior to the procedure/surgery.
• If you have asthma, use your inhaler or nebulizer the morning of surgery. Be sure to BRING them with you.
• Diabetic Patients: DO NOT take your insulin or diabetes medications the morning of surgery or endoscopy procedure. Be sure to BRING them with you.
• If you are taking a blood thinner (i.e., Coumadin, Plavix), talk to your prescribing physician to determine when he/ she would like you to stop taking the medication prior to your surgery. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon. Follow your Surgeon's orders.
• Please stop taking aspirin, ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory), vitamins or herbal medications for one week prior surgery. You may use acetaminophen.
• Herbal supplements should be stopped two weeks before surgery.
If you have any questions regarding your medications or health history, you may contact Pre-Screening at 810-985-1807, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday.
For your convenience, the Mercy Outpatient Pharmacy is located near the main entrance of the hospital to fill your prescriptions. You will need to provide your insurance card(s) when filling prescriptions.
Plastic Surgery Services
St. Joseph Mercy Hospital and its advanced Surgery Center also offers access to advanced plastic surgery services designed to help you look and feel great.
Your decision to consider plastic surgery services at St. Joseph Mercy to enhance your appearance is an important step. Whether being performed for reconstructive purposes, such as breast cancer reconstruction, or simply to enhance your sense of beauty and well being, we can provide the expert care and clinical services you need.
Plastic surgery procedures can provide you with greater self-confidence, that's why it's important to choose a surgery center and a surgeon you can feel comfortable with.
St. Joseph Mercy provides a variety of plastic surgery options that you may benefit from, including:
- Breast augmentation
- Breast lift
- Breast reconstruction, immediately after mastectomy
- Breast reduction
- Tummy tuck
- Scar revision
- Corrective ear surgery
- Skin biopsies
- Lesion removal
To find a plastic surgeon who can meet your needs, please go to the Find a Physician section of the website, or call toll-free 1-888-637-2863.